Have a Great Time in Austin!
By Gideon T. Rasmussen, CISSP, CRISC, CISA, CISM, CIPP
This page is a great reference for friends or family about to come to Austin for a visit.
Here are my favorite things to do in Austin!!!
The food is awesome here! Are you kidding me?!!!
1. Dinosaur Tracks - 30 Minutes From Austin!
Spend an afternoon hiking to find dinosaur tracks! The site is 30 minutes from Austin. The
tracks are 1/2 mile from the parking lot, preserved in stone along the San Gabriel River.
This is not a marked trail. Reference the directions in the first comment below.
Set your GPS to 601 S Gabriel Dr, Leander, TX. There is free parking on the left in the
grass lot next to the 183A bridge. From there walk down towards the river, underneath the
highway. As you approach the waters edge, turn left and walk along the river bank. The
tracks are about 1/2 mile down at a bend in the river.
Here is a GPS pin of the tracks' location: https://maps.app.goo.gl/WGnh97EnSbH3vvHZ7
Here is a link to pictures: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFD583dlxc2/?igshid=p1saz43janpm
Refer to the last image, that displays where to park and where the tracks are.
AUSTIN INSTAGRAM ACCOUNTS
Get to know the local area!
LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ALERTS
CONSIDERATIONS FOR MOVING TO AUSTIN
1. Good food. Did I mention the restaurants are awesome here?!
2. Live music. That's something Austin is known for. Get ready to have some fun!
3. Lots of outdoor activities. Austin is a great place to walk, run, hike or ride a bike!
4. The job market is strong. There are many IT startups in Austin. Much of Silicon Valley has moved here.
Corporate HQs & Regional Offices:
5. Close enough to San Antonio and Dallas to drive versus plane (90 minutes and 3 hours in moderate traffic, respectively).
6. No state income tax.
7. Mild winters. Woo Hoo! December: 63/42 January: 62/41
8. Out of the path of hurricanes.
1. It gets hot in Austin (really hot). If you are from the north, it will take a year or two for
your blood to thin. Even the locals avoid going out in the middle of the day.
July: 96/74 August: 97/75 Monthly Weather:
2. There is heavy traffic during rush hour. COVID-19 has masked that. Take the current commute
time from Google Maps and double it.
3. Real estate is moderately expensive.